Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Employment

I am proud to announce that I have officially entered the real world of full-time employment!!!

I am so relieved, blessed, excited to have finally found this opportunity!! What I thought would take me maybe a month or two after graduation from hygiene school, took me over six months to attain. I have been fortunate to find some fill-in work over the past couple months, but honestly the whole experience was emotionally draining.

I've consistently held a job since I was sixteen years old. I worked my way through college and even maintained 40 hour work weeks during my last semester in hygiene school. Not quite sure how I functioned on so little sleep but I was motivated and had bills to pay. Needless to say I was eager to graduate and begin my chosen profession. Being newly engaged at the time I had dreamed up this picture of how everything would turn out. I set our wedding date giving me "plently" of time to find a job and get settled before we said our I do's.

In the end my picture perfect dream was far from reality. After our wedding festivities came to a close I found myself struggling more and more with the sporadic and unreliable schedule as a fill-in hygienist. I was "supposed" to have a full-time job, I was "supposed" to have a secure paycheck by now. I admit that I became some what lost in my day to day activities. I was running out of ways to keep busy and free time became my lonesome enemy. I started comparing myself to friends and it only left me wanting. Seeing this side of me come out just makes me want to cringe...

A couple months after getting married I finally got an email back for a full-time position. I had recently been doing some bible study about prayer and felt this opportunity was my answer. I was so excited this day had finally come; everything seemed to be falling into place. Days went by after my interview and I could feel my patience growing thin. A week went by and I started to feel disappointment take over. I found myself being embarrassed that I had even told my family and friends about the interview. I prayed for direction, soon realizing that I had to let go of the control I was practically strangling. Another week came and I was able to find peace in His word.

"For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" - Jeremiah 29:11

I accepted that I didn't get the job, that other plans had been made for me. I allowed myself to trust in His timing and found peace about my lost opportunity. When I finally let go and gave myself to His work my answer unexpectedly came with a full-time job offer, over two weeks after my initial interview.

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer - Romans 12:12



I'm not proud of how I stumbled in my post-grad journey but I am thankful for how it has helped me draw closer to Him. Trust in His timing for it is not our own. Little by little He will always provide, it challenges us to walk by faith and not by sight. I'm thankful to be left counting my blessings...

2 comments:

  1. You have no idea how much this post connected with my heart. Thank you for being relatable and for your sweet encouragement in Him! CONGRATULATIONS on landing a job, in His timing! I'm sure you will be great and that they are blessed to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete